Sunday, May 26, 2013

A beginning and an end

I have been camping since I was five years old.  That is 61  years. My family started like most do with a tent.  We then moved to a metal camper.  I have personally owned four campers during my years.  I love it.  The cooking over the fire is one of my favorite things to do.  One of the families that I camped with like to do the entire meal over an open flame. So I remember surprising him with cinnamon rolls to add to his breakfast plans.  You take a big orange and hollow out all the fruit.  Making a small bowl with a cover.  Then you put a cinnamon and brown sugar mixture and a pat of butter in the bowl.  Then two pop and bake biscuits are added to the bowls and the orange cover is put back on.  Then they are wrapped in aluminum foil and place in the fire pit on the coals.  They are turned and baked for 15 minutes.  They are the best orange flavored caramel rolls on the planet.  Okay so we are always very hungry when we camp so they tasted very good.  Anyway, back to my story.  Everything has a first time to do it and a last time.  I have come to the last time in camping as I sold my Toy Hauler camper this week.  I put it on Craig's list at 8:00 in the  morning and by 9:00 that night it was rolling out the driveway.  Wow.  I really was dragging my feet with every excuse that afternoon to get it ready.  I even complained to the ladies at knitting that I didn't want to do the prep  work necessary to get it ready to show.  But I was glad that I did do all the necessary work.  Yes, I have sellers remorse.  Yes, I am glad I no longer have the responsibility for it.  But when You think of all the history I have with camping you surely can understand why I am a bit sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment