Friday, November 8, 2013

teenager saves the day


My first mistake was keeping my wallet in my laptop bag. My second was failing to zip up the pocket that I put it in. My third was somehow managing to let my wallet fall out of my bag as I walked out of the coffee shop this morning.

I would have gotten into my car, driven away, and not even noticed it was missing for several hours. It's got all my credit cards and my IDs and a decent amount of cash. I guess this story should end with me getting robbed and my identity stolen.

Instead it ends with a kid chasing after me, yelling to me just as I was getting in my car, and returning my wallet. I asked him his name, but he didn't tell me. I offered him some money, but he didn't accept it. I wasn't trying to insult him; I just thought he deserved a little finder's fee. ...

He told me that he saw me drop it from across the room. Two other people -- an older woman and a man -- apparently looked down and noticed my mistake, but didn't make any attempt to alert me. So this kid came running from the other end of the store and saved the day.

Imagine that: a teenager setting the example for two grown adults.

So, thank you. I don't know who you are, or if you'll read this, but thanks. It's a small thing. It's something you'd hope anyone would do. But a lot of people wouldn't, man. Trust me. You saw that for yourself today. Most of us live our whole lives and are rarely presented opportunities to be superheroes. Instead, we're defined by the little things and the little moments.

You're on the right path. Thanks for bailing me out today.
 
Matt Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment