Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Gardening

This year I plan on having a vegetable garden. No chemicals or additives are my motivation.   The fresh taste will also be great.  I purchased the seeds, but I will wait to get plants for my tomato and cucumber plants.  Also I still need to get my potato and onion sets.  I just took the temperature of the soil and it still is too cold to plant the onions and the potatoes. Potatoes need the soil to be above 40 degrees.   Old wife tales says that you need to plant potatoes by Good Friday. There is still a chance as Good Friday is a week and a half away.


My garden is only by 20 by 20 feet.  I have two raise gardens from last year project.  They will contain the vines, pumpkins in one and cukes in the other.  Since I choose some vegetables that the deer like I guess I will be fencing it.  If I keep the ends with a portable fence that can be removed.  Then I can get it tilled professionally after the season or before next season at least.  I have purchased a small electric tiller which will be just right for tilling the weeds.  But not for the deep tillage it will needed to start up the garden again. I have owned two small gas tillers in my travel through life and they seem to work for two years then you have carburetor troubles.  The second one I took apart and replaced the carburetor only to have it not start so I sold it as a fixer-up at my garage sale. The soil where I live is sand.  The deeper you dig the finer the sand.  I am putting 8 bags of potting soil and manure on it before I plant.  These are guaranteed to be weed free.  Can't say that about what comes out of the cow.  I remember the chickweed that we had to pull when we were kids. Wish me luck and hope I still have a green thumb.



Pink ornamental grass will be planted on the south side of my house.





Last year I planted lilies, glads and petunias. This year I plan to plant them too, but add a pink foliage grass surrounded by purple wave petunias.


 


My electric tiller
 Potting soil and manure

No comments:

Post a Comment