Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tribute to my brother

My brother finally is at peace.  He passed away on Monday due to a high sugar spike which caused a seizure.   The professionals at Nielsen Place did all they could to recessatate him but to no avail. I spent all night thinking of just what did my brother mean to me. 

At first I was his legs.  When we moved from Nymore to our country home Dave had broken his leg and had to spend the summer in traction.  I would go all over the farm and come back and report what it was like.    I loved that new freedom which we experienced at our new home. 


He was my protector.  When I started school at Riverside he was already in second grade.  Every time that I got in trouble I would run to him to protect me.  That continued until he graduated from eight grade and went into Bemidji to finish his education.

He was my brain.  When I got into trouble with math or science he was always there to help me.  Even when I had to stay up until midnight when he finally got home.  He always helped me.  He had a double major in math and science when he graduated from Bemidji State College.  It is now a university. 

He was my hero.  Upon graduating from college he enlisted in the army.  He then was tested and was off to officer training school in Maryland. He retire a Colonel 24 years ago.  He is one of the reasons that I am a member of the American Legion Auxiliary.  I feel the need to support troops especially the Vietnam Vets whom our country treated so poorly.

I smile now when I think of his story telling abilities.  He could take a short story and make it so long that you forgot just what was the point. I remember telling him once that I was a type A personality and could he just get on with the story.  He said if you are a type A then I am a type Z.  Yes, I said you do put us all to sleep.  We laughed over that.

Dave had a long laundry list of physical problems in the last several years of his life.  He was diabetic, had high blood pressure, he was confined to a wheel chair, and he had ulcerous sores on the bottom of his feet just to name a few.  He asked me when he went on dialysis if I would be the one to take him.  I gladly said yes.  Again I was his legs.  He went  three times a week for almost 8 months.  We spent a lot of time during those trips reminencing.  The morning of his death I took him to dialysis.  It was just as normal as could be.  He talked about his weekend.  When I brought him back to Nielsen Place for lunch he thanked me for what I was doing for him.  He said he knew it was a real committment.  I said that I would see him on Wednesday.  Now he is gone.  I loved him and will miss him greatly.  Free at last, free at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment