Thursday, March 1, 2012

Surgery

This is the rose that they gave me after my surgery


I just had a colonoscopy.  Anyone that knows me well knows that I do not like procedures.  Preparation was the worse part.  The day before the surgery I had to just have a liquid diet.  Then I had to drink this laxative laced gatorade (64 ounces) as quickly as I could.  It should have all be drank in an hour, but it took me over two hours to get it down.  After cleaning out I needed to keep hydrated and then after midnight nothing at all.  When I awoke from the surgery my throat hurt.  I kept asking why and finally the doctor came in and I asked him how far in did he put that camera. Did he see my tonsils. I told him that my throat was scratched and very sore. He laughed then told me what had happened. They had to insert a respirator in during surgery.  My system went into overdrive to create mucus to protect my body from this invasion and I actually started choking on it. My throat was closing.   It took 2 days before my throat felt okay.  Even now it is a bit scratchy.   I wanted to show you pictures of this procedure, but the doctor told me he didn't take any as I had such a perfect colon.  It was a picture of health.  Well, now you know that I am a perfect asshole.  I guess I will have to live up to my name.  I do want to thank my friend Janet for taking me to and from my surgery.  I was told that I could not drive for the next 24 hours.  Well so much for following directions.  I had to get Dave to dialysis.  Of course there was quilting Wednesday morning at church and then the Lenten services and lunch.  I accomplished everything without getting a DWI.  Well, I am usually not that defiant of the law, but then everyday life gets in the way and decisions must be made.  Well, I am not under the influence any more.  So I am off to lunch with friends and knitting today, my favorite day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment