Saturday, November 3, 2012

gluten intolerant

Recently I was diagnosed to be gluten intolerant.  As a result I have eliminated all wheat products. A gluten-free diet is a diet that excludes the protein gluten. Gluten is found in grains such as wheat, barley, rye and triticale (a cross between wheat and rye).
Initially, following a gluten-free diet may be frustrating. But with time, patience and creativity, I have  found there are many foods that I already eat that are gluten-free and I have found substitutes for gluten-containing foods.

Switching to a gluten-free diet is a big change and, like anything new, it takes some getting used to. I initially felt deprived by the diet's restrictions. However, I tried to stay positive and focus on all the foods that I could eat. I was  pleasantly surprised to realize how many gluten-free products, such as bread and pasta, are now available.

Allowed foods  Many healthy and delicious foods are naturally gluten-free:
  • Beans, seeds, nuts in their natural, unprocessed form
  • Fresh eggs
  • Fresh meats, fish and poultry (not breaded, batter-coated or marinated)
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Most dairy products
Foods to avoid
  • Beer
  • Breads
  • Cakes and pies
  • Candies
  • Cereals
  • Cookies and crackers
  • Croutons
  • French fries (Not homemade ones)
  • Gravies
  • Imitation meat or seafood
  • Matzo
  • Pastas
  • Processed luncheon meats
  • Salad dressings
  • Sauces, including soy sauce
  • Seasoned rice mixes
  • Seasoned snack foods, such as potato and tortilla chips
  • Self-basting poultry
  • Soups and soup bases
  • Vegetables in sauce

  • I need to say I have experienced a number of good results.  Not only do I feel better I also have put a stop to my fibermialga.  My breathing is better.  I sleep more soundly.  My head is not full of mucus.  Very little drainage. My cravings are under control.   And the list goes on.  I have been gluten free for 6 weeks now. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment