Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Graduation



Friday I attended the graduation at NDSCS.  The student I went to honor was the fiancee of a good friend's daughter.  This young man's grandmother died 2 days before so his Dad's family was not able to attend.  His mother did make the graduation.  He is a young man that will do anything for you if you need it done. He has a heart of gold.  He has in his young life saved peoples life that would have burned.  Saved an apartment building from burning completely to the ground and spreading to adjacent buildings.  The best story I have about this young man is the night of the fire I was sitting on a park bench watching the fire fighters fight the fire with the owner of the building whom soon will be his mother-in-law.  He came out of the building with a load of his things from his apartment and he came across the street with something for me.  It was the note he had written to me thanking me for the John Deere quilt I had made for him for his graduation from High School.  It was soaking wet.  He laughed and said I just wanted you to have the original.  When I gave him my graduation present yesterday, I said please don't give me another wet thank you card.  He really laughed at that and was telling people all about the first card.  When I arrived in Wahpeton I called my friend and she told me that I could attend the dinner that John Deere corporation catered for the graduates. So I got to see him get his plaque from the Diesel program. 
   
Then on to the NDSCS graduation.  Well, then graduation took off with an interesting turn. The bleachers we were sitting popped like a gun went off. When we stood for the graduates it swayed worse than any boat I've been on. The official cleared the bleachers on the North side of the gym and set up chairs. The faculty gave up their seats in the front for people and stood the entire graduation.
Graduation went on and was done in record time. 
He is the first of his family to attend college and graduate. It took the entire village but it happened.  What a fun day. 

1 comment:

  1. The last picture you can see the North bleachers closed and people sitted in chairs.

    ReplyDelete