Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Celebrations



My plate.  It was delicious.
" The history of Memorial Day, and its purpose, is steeped in tradition and meaning.
Following the Civil War, Americans recognized the military men and women who died in service to their country.
By the late 1860s, in towns and cities across the country, citizens gathered for tributes to fallen soldiers and decorated graves of Civil War veterans on May 30, for what was then known as Decoration Day.
During World War I, the U.S. broadened the observance to include fallen soldiers of all wars.
Gradually, honoring fallen soldiers annually became known as Memorial Day, and it became an official federal holiday in 1971. " This was quoted from the Bemidji Pioneer.

  I attended two ceremonies.  My first was the Greenwood Cemetery where my Dad and Brother are buried.  As you see in the pictures that my mom always gets a flag.  Dad decided when she was buried to have the same foot marker as he would have, excluding the service branch.  So when they put out the flags they don't read them they just see the foot marker and place a flag. 

My Dad and Mothers


My brothers
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment