Friday, May 4, 2012

On-line newspaper

Recently I paid for the Bemidji Pioneer to be delivered on-line.  I have had it for two weeks and like it.  It is delivered right after midnight and I have the paper immediately on raising.  I really don't know how many times in the last year I missed getting a paper  delivered.  My delivery person was so undependable.  I really got tired of calling the paper.  Now I don't have to go outside to the mailbox to get the paper.  And I have something to read if I have a sleepless night.  Every part of the paper can be clicked on to bring up the article into essay form.  That can be enlarged to read even with my poor eyes.  It seems that I don't find my glasses in the morning until around 10:00. 

This morning I went on line to investigate on-line newspapers and found  that you can get most cities newspaper.  No matter where you are at you can read the news. Most of them you can read shortened version of the news and the obits.  That is interesting. Last week I got a call from someone in Texas who was thinking about my brother and hadn't heard that he had passed.   She called me as she had checked the obits and read about his passing.  She was truly concerned and wanted to know what had happened.  That conversation with someone that Dave served with in the army was only possible because of on-line newspapers.  The world has shrunk again.

Another interesting part if on-line newspapers. They are cheaper.  The regular paper cost $166. The on-line version is $90.  Another part of this is that I can get the paper where ever I go.  Say I visit my son in Jamestown and I can open my computer and read the news from Bemidji.  The paper does start to pile up when I am on vacation.  Wait a minute I am retired so I am on vacation all the time.  Also, I don't have to carry the old papers to the recycling center.  Another plus.

The only part that some may miss is the ads.  Well I don't miss those either.  I haven't shopped in a big box store for years.  I shop mostly at the "Q".  QVC.

But then there is the fact that some people just like to hold on to the paper. They like the feel of it in their hands.I am not saying that isn't a good argument.


To do the crossword puzzle I have to print it.  A small inconvenience.  But it is easy to do.   All considered I like the on-line paper.  One more step by this gal toward going green. Got to love technology.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment