Saturday, May 26, 2012

slugs

I just spread coffee grounds around my tomatoes.  How green is that?  It is suppose to keep the slugs away.  I think that they get all caffeined up and run away.  Maybe slide away is better description.  Maybe I'll have the only high caffeine tomatoes. 

While I was in the garden my glads are up about three inches.  I know they weren't there yesterday.  They look so brave out there all alone in that sea of soil.  Potatoes, onions, corn and glads are all up and not it's even June yet.   

I did some research on the Internet about coffee grounds and here is what I found out:
 
Gardeners who pride themselves on their tomato-growing skills often have tricks and strategies they use to increase yields and grow larger tomatoes. Many of these tricks originate in the kitchen with refuse that people usually throw away. Increase the nitrogen content of the soil around your tomato plants by using coffee grounds. When you sprinkle coffee grounds lightly around your tomato plants, you may be surprised at your sizable and bountiful tomato harvest.


Slugs and snails are more than just slimy, slow-moving creatures. They can suck up rows of seedlings while leaving behind a trail of slime. While you may introduce natural predators like frogs into your garden, if you want immediate results there are lots of organic substances you may use to kill slugs and snails. While salt is a popular and effective solution, it is risky because salt can damage the soil. Coffee, which is just as effective, also fertilizes your plants.

Introducing frogs in my garden isn't a problem as I have told you before that I live on any island in the swamp.  All of those creatures are available to me. If you would like to read more about my frogs, please read October 5, 2011.  The blog is called the Invasion of the baby frogs.

I find this topic so interesting, but now I am thinking that I put too much coffee on.  Hope not.      

No comments:

Post a Comment