Monday, August 20, 2012

My brother's auction













Tons of  work, fun and memories.  It was a long day, but the weather was just beautiful.  Along with the auction we set up a book sale.  The proceeds from that was over 700 dollars on Saturday. I sure that total will increase Sunday.   When ever the trailers got emptied we would carry more boxes of books down and refill the trailers. Before the auction a friend came and looked at the cedar that my brother had bought.  He had plans of using it to reside his cabin at Red Lake.  The pile of wood had a worth of $3000.  This friend left me in charge of buying the cedar.  I really don't like bidding for other people, but this was different.  The shop teacher from Bagley was bidding against me.  I really thought I had it at 100 dollars below my cap, but then he went right on and I stated my last bid and held me breath.  He stopped and I got the lumber.  Now I know why people like auctions so much it is trilling.  Anyway I got the bid and the shop teacher talked to me after  and told me that he had a cap of 1500 dollars.  He also said he found out I was family and that is why he stopped bidding.  He was going to put it in his basement.     As the auction proceeded a lot of people asked me what I wanted with the wood.  One I told I was going to side my house.  Another I told that I build canoes.  Someone else I told that I was building a deck.  But my best lie I told was that I was building cedar outhouses.   I can't wait for those stories to filter down to Rik and Aaron.  I warned the boys and they are ready to continue the ruse and to then tell the truth of the matter.  Another chapter of my life closed this weekend.  Getting older surely is not for sissies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment