Sunday, February 3, 2013

the rodent predicts

Punxsutawney Phil crawled out early Saturday morning and did not see his shadow, signaling it will be an early spring.
"Spring, bring it on. The groundhog has proved me wrong once again.  Who guessed that Phil would see his shadow. He messes me up."
This year is the 127th Groundhog Day celebration, which is held at Gobbler's Knob in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.
Coming into this year, Phil had seen his shadow 100 times and had not seen it only 16 times since 1886, according to Punxsutawney Groundhog Club's Inner Circle. There are no records for the missing 10 years. The 15 members of the inner circle, clad in tophats and tuxedos, decide in advance whether to announce Phil has seen his shadow or not, even though the groundhog does the symbolic duty.
In Punxsutawney, which is about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, the groundhog annual makes his prediction on a hill known as Gobbler's Knob. The event annually attracts more than 15,000 people and brought as many as 30,000 in the wake of the 1993 release of the Bill Murray classic movie "Groundhog Day,'' according to the Inner Circle.

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm caught up with your busy life again! I just love reading your stories. They put a smile on my face for sure! Can't wati to see pictures of your new plants you ordered. I didn't order any this year. I love the idea of using your brothers waterbed frame for a raised garden. I may have to do that with my frame that is out in the garage. It would be easier on on the back that's for sure! Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete