Monday, December 12, 2011

Close encounter of the best kind

Thursday I was at Luekens eating lunch with my high school classmates.  It was one of the men's birthday.  So we all chip in to buy cupcakes.  Well we bought 24 minis and did not eat all of them.  While we talked and laughed a group of special needs students came in from a school in the area to do a life skills outing.  I know the classroom teacher.  I asked him if the kids could have a cupcake for their dessert.  Sure he answered, but I had to offer the cupcake myself.  So I did.  Some are not audiable.  Others could talk a minimal amount.  The one that stands out in my mind was a minimal audiable girl.  I asked her if she wanted a cupcake and she nodded yes.  When she did not thank me the instructor signed to her to thank me.  She shook her head no.  He signed again, she shook her head no.  Then with great difficulty she said Hap  py    brth da to me.  I thanked her and moved on.  But I guess that was the most she has said in a long time.  What an experience.  I get goose bumps thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment