Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Martha Ostenso

Since my return to Minnesota I have been trying to read Minnesota authors.  
The following is the list of authors that I have read:  John Camp, John Sandford, Anne Tyler, Gary Paulson, Jon Hassler, Fitzgerald F. Scott, William Kent Krueger and Arvid Williams.   I just finished  reading Wild Geese by Martha Ostenso. It was published in 1925.  Now I am reading Dark Dawn by the same author.  I am going to try to read all of Martha Ostenso's books.  The group of books come from my friend Norm's personal collection.

Martha was raised and educated in Canada.  She moved to the United States in 1921.  She moved to Gull Lake, Minnesota in 1931.  She then retired and moved to Seattle in 1963.
Ostenso's major achievement, Wild Geese, was her only novel set in Canada. A compelling romance, it realistically explores the strange unity between man and nature, and the spareness of both physical and spiritual life in a pioneering farm community. It is considered to be her best work.I really enjoyed the character development and the command of the written word.  The main characters name is JUDITH, my name and MARTHA (author's name) which is also my mother's name.    I was meant to read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment