Sunday, February 5, 2012

North woods activites







After a successful fishing trip to Lake of the woods I was able to have a few friends in for a fish fry.  These walleyes where caught 2 weeks ago when my son and his friends came from North Dakota and fished Lake of the Woods.  (check the January 23rd post titled Jamon). You can't get fish much fresher except if they were fried the day they were caught.  Cold and deep water insures fresh tasting walleye.  What a feast.  I am used to paying $15.00 plus a plate for restaurant walleyes and they do not hold a candle to the taste of the fish fried in my garage. 

What Minnesotans do best is tell stories. I love storytellers Don and Janet brought with them several SD cards full of rendezvous pictures. We had such a great time looking at the pictures.  Especially when we were getting the TV set up of showing.   Interest was generated in attending a least one rendezvous next summer.  Maybe the one here is Bemidji area.   But we do not need to dress the part because as Don said we would come as  "flatlanders." 

Then it is time to go home and we did a great rendition of the Minnesota goodbye.  First we all got up and gathered in the kitchen and continued talking.  Then in my entryway  and finally my garage.   a Minnesota goodbye may take up words of an hour.  But this one hit the average of half an hour.   I wonder if other state have this type of traditional goodbye.   We all thought we should do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment