Monday, September 3, 2012

End of a growing season

 
I just hate to see the growing season end. Although not having to water everyday will have its perks, but I will miss the great tasting, chemical free produce.  My cucumbers quit producing last week, but the plant is so beautiful that I just can't quit watering it.  I just go out everyday and look for cucumbers and admire the ladder.  I am nursing my pumpkins along trying to get them as big as possible.  Tal wants his to make it over 100 pounds.  I told him that I grew one for Jamon that weighed 106 pounds.  He wants his to be at least that big or bigger. That brings up another issue -- just how am I going to weigh it???  But again I am in conflicts with the wildlife that seems to like to hang out in my yard.  Anyway it isn't the deer.  It is the rabbits.  They have taken to sleeping in my pumpkins at night.  They have smashed or broken all the tall leaves around the main root of the pumpkin.  So they have dropped off and no longer protect the root mass from the afternoon sun.   I wonder if I can shade it on the hot afternoons.  So far I have to water it three times a day to keep the vines where the pumpkins are growing healthy.   As you probably realize I do not have my pumpkin growing in my fenced garden.   I wonder if rabbits can develop lead poisoning.  Oh, yes that would mean I would have to get a 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment