Saturday, January 19, 2013

ADVICE

Today at Peak I was talking to a man who was around 80.  He likes to talk so I took on the listening role.  Anyway he proceeded to tell me that he had colon cancer 16 years ago.  After the surgery the doctor came into the room to tell him that he thought he got all the cancer.   So my friends asked him  how can I prevent this from coming back.  The doctor told him that many people had asked him that over the years.  Some he thought would make it very easily died within a year and others he thought did not stand a chance live a long time did.  So the doctor continued by saying that there are three things that could help you prolong your life.  These  are the three things that I have observed from being a surgeon. 

1st -- Have a great sense of humor.  I know I did not cut that out of you.  You had the entire operating room laughing when you begged for some water.  The nurse said she could not give you any water, but you could have some ice chips.  My friend then replied could you at least sprinkle some whiskey on them.

2nd -- Believe in a higher power.  The doctor continued that he has seen many miraculous  things happen in the area.  The patients that have faith live longer.

3rd -- Be optimistic.  Everyone has aches and pains, keep on keeping on.  When someone asks you how you are tell them fantastic.  This optimism is important. 

This guy is in very good shape.  I love to talk to him as he is interesting, but more over he is always happy............. I got all this when I asked him how are you today.  His answer fantastic.  If he was any better he would have to be twins.

No comments:

Post a Comment