Sunday, January 13, 2013

Convention

Virginia Woolf wrote, " across the broad continent of a woman's life falls the shadow of a sword."  On one side of that sword, she said, there lies convention and tradition and order where "all is correct." But on the other side of that sword, if you're  crazy enough to cross it and choose a life that does not follow convention "all is confusion.  Nothing follows a regular course."  She goes on to argue that crossing from tradition may bring a far more interesting existence to a woman, but you can bet it will be more perilous. I have lead that non-traditional life.  I agree that there have been moments of tradition.  It is very much like the puzzle piece that just doesn't fit in the space you are trying to place it.  Don't get me wrong I am happy and content with my life.    Most of the decisions that I made were right for me, but fitting in with others especially women, I am just now getting the hang of it.  I am judged by traditional and ordered values and I just don't measure up.   But am I okay within my own skin?  The answer is yes. How do I feel when I look back on my life?  Happy, content, blessed, fulfilled , proud, and rich ( not monetarily). I am just not like other people and I am thankful to be me. the Bhagavad Gita --that ancient Indian Yogic text-- says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.    SO, so be it.       

No comments:

Post a Comment