Thursday, June 7, 2012

What the?????

Recently, I watched the mini series that the History Channel filmed on the Hatfields and the McCoys.  It starred Kevin Costner.  In the history books the account is truely seen through rose colored glasses.  My impression of what happened was way off the mark.  What they did to each other was gruesome.
Over the years they made at least one attempt to end it.  I found it interesting that the two governors of their respective states could not intervene. Not only by watching this series did I get the true prespective of what went on back then, but I also learned something.   The government in Washington DC sent a man to the area to find out what was going on.  They were hearing so many rumors and reading the head lines in the paper that they felt it was time for them to hear what was actually going on first hand.  The man's name was Sam Hill.   You have probably have guessed what I am going to say next.  That is where the expression 'What in the sam hill is going on' got started. Furthermore I learned that 60 of the surviving members of both families in 2003 signed a peace treaty.  Isn't that interesting. 

1 comment:

  1. Kitty is related to one of the families. I don't remember which family anymore. It was a good series - I fell asleep and missed the the last half of the first one, but seen the second one.

    ReplyDelete