Tuesday, June 5, 2012

woodticks

On Tuesday I had a tick stuck. I thought it looked like a friendly tick and not a deer tick.  But on Saturday it was red and itchy.  Into the walk-in clinic I went and met Dr. Olson.  He thought it was a friendly tick too, but treated like it was a deer tick.  Ten days of Doxycycl.
Ticks are vectors of a number of diseases, including Lyme disease, Q fever (rare; more commonly transmitted by infected excreta), Colorado tick fever, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, tularemia, tick-borne relapsing fever, babesiosis, ehrlichiosis, Tick paralysis and tick-borne meningoencephalitis, as well as bovine anaplasmosis.  None of those are inviting.  Dr. Olson told me that dogs and deer bring ticks into your yard.  I fog with black flagg and that should control most of the ticks.  But I can't control the dogs and the deer that seem to frequent my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment