Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bike Trails

Bemidji area has an extensive network of bike trails.  Two trails that I know of go from Bemidji to other cities.  One goes to International Falls and one goes to Walker.  My great nephew and I have for the last two summers spent every summer Monday together.   He is 9 years old this year.  We plan work projects and fun projects in a meeting that we lovingly call our safety meetings.  Generally a safety meeting starts our day out.  We make our plans for that day which always features my expectations of his behavior that day.  He gets input into the plan and therefore buys ownership to the plan.  Last summer we had a plan to landscape the front of my house.  When he arrived I was already deep into the work so he just jumped in and started working.    Then about an hour into the project he comes to me and exclaimed that we forgot to have our safety meeting.  Nothing short of stopping and having our meeting would do.  So, of course, that is what we did.   

This picture was taken in the Bemidji State  Park section of the bike trail that goes around the Lake Bemidji.  I think there is 33 miles of trails.  This trip we put on 9 miles.  I heard no complaints from him that he was too tired.  Anyway, we packed a lunch and ate it in the park.  What was a great way to end the summer of fun Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment