Sunday, October 23, 2011

World Relief

I have transferred my membership to the First Lutheran Church.  As I found out later my best friend from high school is also a member.   I got the royal treatment as she introduced me to the church family.  I have two observations as a new comer.  The church is the busiest church I have ever been in.  Their ministries are world wide.  And secondly they are the coffee drinkingest bunch I have ever seen.  Both are good.  I wonder is drinkingest a word????  Anyway, I have joined the quilters and the knitters.  Both are doing their projects for Lutheran World Relief.  My knitting group averages 8 to 10 women and the quilting group has 22 to 25 women in it.  There are three groups of worker bees in the quilting groups.  There are the top sewers who manage the fabric donations.  That is mainly Wilda and I.  There are ladies who tie the quilts.  Finally there are two gals who sew the binding on.   All the fabrics and materials are donated.  We have money alotted us from FLCW (Women of the church) from which we buy batting and maintain the sewing machines.   But now the best part.  We have a 30 to 40 minutes coffee time.  Remember this is the drinkingest bunch.  We have one member that comes just to make the coffee, set the table and get the goodies out.  She is such a dear.  Not a mean bone in her body, but she is showing signs of demenia.  We can sing grace and after we end she asked did we sing the blessing.  We answer yes and she says I must have been in the kitchen.  We all love her to death.  I am proud to tell you I am a better person from these volunteer hours.

As in the commercial says the world needs more winners and these groups are surely that.



3 comments:

  1. Our coffee lady for quilting has ended up in the nursing home at Sidney. She will be greatly missed. Bolunteering is aways a great feeling! And I think drinkingness has to be a word - lol!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *that is volunteering - I am making up new words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are the first to comment Aunt Sonja. Thanks for reading my blogs.

    ReplyDelete