Friday, October 7, 2011

Screw covers

I bought my first camper in 2002.  Well, that isn't entirely true.  I had several camper before this, but my husband always took care of them.  As women we don't learn much when we are taken care of by our man.  Don't get me wrong I like being pampered.  But I digress.  Back to my first camper.  I was 18 feet long, but the problem was I had never pulled a trailer before.  I purchased it in Bismarck, North
Dakota.  When it was time for me to leave they gave me minimal instructions and sent me on my way.   Talk about being scared.  I white knuckled it all the way home.  It was 150 miles to my home in Beach, North Dakota.  All went well, but I found out later that I was just lucky.  Trailer hitches have a place for a pin so they can not open while you are pulling the trailer.  I didn't have that.  My friends told me how lucky I was that it didn't come unhitched while I was pulling it. 

That summer I had tons of things to learn including backing it which today I can say that I am better at it.  Hopefully some day I can say that I am a good backer.  I have up graded to a 30 foot toy hauler which I feel is easier to back then the shorter trailer. 

One of the things I learned is that a trailer does not have screw covers to prevent moisture coming into the trailer.  I was camping with a group of friends.  I watched as the men got things out of their trailer storage units.  They would open the unit and there was a clip that held the cover in the air while they rummaged in the storage.  I mentioned that I wished I had those on my trailer.   My friend said he could not believe that I didn't have them  We went over to my trailer and of course there they were. 
All along I had them, but I thought they were screw covers.  We really had a great laugh about that.

Hiding under the cover is my second camper

No comments:

Post a Comment