Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Roller derby

1




Bemidji has a roller derby team called the Babe City Rollers.  My next door neighbor skates in it.  I have never been, but it sounds fun.  So Saturday night along with Don and Janet Haugen I went.  From 5:30 to 7:00 was the special groups or new members that get a chance to practice and entertains us.    Then at 7:00 is the main event.  Could those girls skate.  The bout was against the Des Moines Derby Dames. It is not the roller derby I remember from the 1970's  that we watched on TV.  It was a flat track.  And although it was action packed it wasn't as cut throat as I remember. It is fun watching the "jammer."  She wears a star on her helmet and her sole job is to make points by smashing through the mass of other skaters and passing them.  One referee picks her up and skates inside the circle while pointing at her.  It is like she has a target on her back with the huge star on her helmet and a ref skating next to her pointing right at her.  The others do everything they can to block her.   I really had fun, but went home at the half as I was so tired from the Craft show all day. I can't tell you who won at this time.   Roller Derby is worth the price of admission.  I would definitely go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment