Monday, July 9, 2012

book club

"To know yourself, to know your friends, all you need to do is knit." (Taken from the Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.)  I have always had making myself a sweater on my bucket list.  While I was reading the Friday Night Knitting Club for the third time I got inspired to jump in.  I am the leader at book club this go around.  Whereas, I remember the story from the first two reading a long time ago I had to reread it to get the names of the people in my mind again. Now can I remember them until Monday.  Getting old is not for sissies.    Starting the sweater was the easy part.  Then I got to the inset rectangle.  I had to call on my friends to help me learn that skill. Thank goodness I know two tremendous knitters who can explain things over the phone.  They were my phone a friend like on the show The Millionaire.

In FNKC the 12 year old girl is an inspiring chef who would like to specialize in baking.  During the book she is always baking and developing new recipes.  The author included her orange, blueberry, and coconut muffin recipe.  I baked the recipe for the book club to sample her creation as we discuss the book. This should add a new dimension  to club.

"Even now, it seems unbelievable to me that by pulling together a motley collection -- soft yarn, the sharp needles, the scripted pattern, the smoothing hook, the intangibles of creativity, humanity and imagination -- you can create something that will hold a piece of your soul." (FNKC) This is the same for quilting as it for knitting or any other craft you spend time in.  Especially when you give finished project as a gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment