Thursday, July 26, 2012

Hardanger

 Hardanger embroidery or "Hardangersøm" is a form of embroidery traditionally worked with white thread on white even-weave cloth, using counted thread and drawn thread work techniques. It is sometimes called white work embroidery. It is easier if you use colored thread as you can see it much clearer on you first few projects.   I  have completed one piece, but I'll tell you right now it was not a labor of love.  It was my type A personality that dictated that I must finish this project. I do not remember anything that I did from that project, hence the new  lessons.  Judy and I got lessons from Yvonne on Wednesday. 

The exact origin of Hardanger embroidery are not known but it is thought to have its beginnings in ancient Persia and Asia. During the Renaissance this early form of embroidery spread to Italy where it evolved into Italian Reticella and Venetian lacework. By 1700 variations of this type of embroidery had spread to northern Europe where it developed further into Danish and Dutch Hedebo, Scottish Ayrshire work and Ruskin lacework as well as Norwegian Drawn Work, as it was then called.
In the period between 1650-1850 Hardangersom (meaning: work from Hardanger area) flourished in Norway.

My pouch is lined and I have a magnet closure on this piece.


I am making this small pouch.  Might use it for my cell phone.

This is what I accomplished in an hour
It is a pouch for my cell.  I am trying to decide whether I should bead a handle or a longer one for my neck. As you can see the hearts are all one thread off.  They would be centered otherwise.  That is the nature of the beast when you are doing hardanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment