Monday, April 23, 2012

Dr. Oz

What do beets, cashews, and avocado have in common?  They are foods that help memory.   I was told by Don and Janet that Dr. Oz recommends these three foods be put in your diet.  But As I researched this I found out that is only part of the story.  He recommends that foods that are high in antioxidants and B 12 be added to your diet to increase memory. 

Vitamin C is an antioxidant found in abundance in citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons and limes. You'll also find antioxidants in other fruits, such as apples, avocados, cherries, plums, pears and pineapple. Berries -- and blueberries in particular -- are also high in antioxidants. In addition to vitamin C, blueberries contain anthocyanins, the antioxidant-rich flavonoid that gives them their blue color. While the boost in antioxidants is nice and might tempt you to significantly increase your daily fruit consumption, be aware that fruits contain high amounts of sugar, which can cause your body's blood sugar level to spike. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends 2 cups of fruit per day for most people

Vegetables are good sources of several antioxidants. Dark, leafy greens, artichokes and green peppers are among the vegetables that are high in vitamin C. You'll also receive the antioxidants vitamin A and carotenoids from vegetables such as kale, collard greens, sweet potatoes, squash and carrots. Broccoli is among the foods richest in antioxidants, containing vitamin C, vitamin A and carotenoids such as lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-carotene. Avoid overcooking broccoli, which can decrease its vitamin C levels. To maintain broccoli's antioxidant levels, eat it raw or steam it.

When I got home from talking to Janet and Don I had to email them to get the list as I had forgotten two of the foods they had told me.  I wonder if I need to up the cashews, beets and avocados.

Don and Janet I hope you are having a great vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment