Friday, April 6, 2012

Tranplanting corn

My friends Don and Janet plans on growing their corn inside as a set plant and then transplanting them.  I liked his reasoning about the advantage of this process.  So I asked the computer to tell me what others are doing or have done about this new idea.    Here is what I found.  The following was taken off one site.   But the other sites that I read concurred with this one.
"Although many people will disagree with me on this one, there are MANY advantages to starting corn indoors or in a greenhouse and later transplanting. Among these are: 1) Much better germination, specially of Sh2 varieties, because you can create a warm environment (ideal soil temp is 75-77 degrees). Outdoors, in cool soil, many corn varieties have germination issues and are prone to rot. 2) Much safer from scavengers and herbivores like crows, doves, deer, mice, squirrels, coons, etc., all of which will eat corn seed and young, germinating corn plants. 3) Transplants allow you to have a nice, uniform, solid stand of corn, whereas, if you direct sow in the garden, some of your seeds will not germinate, resulting in "skips" in the row. When you fill in, these fill in plants will be behind the rest of the crop, and may not do as well. 4) In more northern areas, transplanting allows you to get a crop quicker, since you can grow the plants indoors in warmer conditions and avoid some of the early, cool weather -- you aren't as much at the mercy of the weather.
I've done corn both ways, and, other than the fact it's more work than just direct sowing in terms of the care involved, I would have to say that I far prefer starting corn as transplants. The advantages far out weigh the disadvantages.
Corn actually transplants reasonably well when young, but it's still best to use either smallish cells, which will fill rapidly with roots, resulting in a nice, solid rootball, or, something like a paper dixie cup or peat pot which can be planted directly in the ground and will rot away.
Depending upon how warm and bright your growing area is, it will take 3 to 4 weeks from sowing to transplant. Be sure to give them as much light as possible -- I would start them about 6 inches under bright florescent lights. And, be sure to acclimate them well to outdoor conditions before transplanting. Ideally, the plants should be about 6 inches tall and well rooted when you plant them out. I personally plan on planting them out about 2 to 3 weeks AFTER my average last frost date, to ensure that the weather and soil are nicely warmed."

Well now I have to decide.  I think one row will be potted and one will be planted as seeds in the ground.  That way I will have corn at different times.  He said the soil has to be 75 degrees.  My garage is at 50 degrees right now.  I think that I will plant the seedlings inside the May 1st.   I am NOT going to turn on the heat in the garage to raise corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment