Friday, January 27, 2012

My prius

I call my car the fast and the frugal.  My prius is electric and gasoline - a hybred.  I get anywhere from 38 to 58 miles to the gallon.  My last trip to Jamestown I got  58 miles to the gallon going over and 45 miles to the gallon coming back.  The variables are how fast I drive, whether the wind is blowing, and my style of driving.  No jackrabbit starts.  It also saves at the pump by shutting off at every stop.  That one is hard to explain, but the car is still on, but the engine just stops.  If the light turns to green you push on the gas and away you go.  I guess I would liken that to a golf cart. 


 It does not have a key.  You carry a transponder.  The car knows when it is near and automatically unlocks my door for me.  When the transponder is in the car you just push a power button to start the car.  It is great starter in the winter because all you are starting is the electric motor.  Then the electric motor starts the gas motor when it is needed.   My son borrowed my car to go to Oklahoma City from North Dakota.  He and 3 of his friends had to go to be in a friends wedding.  For the 4 boys the plane was to cost them over 1200 dollars.  They each took turns buying gas for the trip and it ended up costing them 40 dollars each.  Were they every happy.  By the way my car came back in great shape.   Well, Jamon traded cars with me and he had an 08 Honda accord.  My Prius is an 05.  So I guess he kept everyone in line as he knew I had the upper hand in that deal. 

Since this is the 7th year I have had this car.  I guess I really like it.  Normally I trade cars like I change socks.  But being on a fixed income and liking my car as much as I do.  I'll be hard put to change.    

No comments:

Post a Comment