Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Too much of a good thing

I am reminded of Mae West' quote " Too much of a good thing can be wonderful."  Skiing is that way for me.  I love it.  Any time of year, you’d be hard-pressed to find a sport that offers a better workout than cross-country skiing.  Skiing works the whole body with invigorating cardiovascular exercise. Unlike downhill skiing, which offers quick runs at thrilling speeds, you can enjoy cross-country skiing at any pace. And you rarely get cold, because you are constantly moving.

Skiing immerses you in Minnesota’s winter landscape. Take to the trails, where a fresh perspective waits. With no foliage on the trees, new vistas open up at familiar places. The linear shapes of deciduous trees and long blue shadows cast across pure snow create surroundings that are a study of shape and contrast. It reminds me of the color palette of my quilts.

You  find yourself contemplating the awesome silence of a thick pine stand after a heavy snowfall. Perhaps you will ski along a river, marveling at sparkling ice formations. You’ll feel a sense of accomplishment after the challenge of skiing up a hill, then revel in the exhilarating downhill ride. You’ll enjoy frozen lakes, whose flat surfaces are perfect for skiing. You’ll see plenty of wildlife, but few people.  Minnesota has more than 100 well-maintained cross country ski trails and the Bemidji area is no exception.  A friend of mine and I went skiing on Tuesday on the Montebello ski trail.  We had just got about 6 inches of snow. I know it was a lot as I had to plow it out of my yard. We had a great time and the scenery was breathe taking. The internet reported that the trail had 4 km if snow.  Since I was 20 I have heard that in my life time everything will be measured in metric.  While some things are measured in metric the majority is still in English measurement.  I speak English and still don't speak metric.  Where is the conversion button?  I do know that 39 inches in a meter.  Than is 4 km about a half an inch?   I feel like a contestant on Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader.  All those 9 and 10 year old kids locking in and I just don't know the answer.  I know what I will do I will ask when I buy my Minnesota ski pass. That is the advantage of being old.

No comments:

Post a Comment